Anne Zehren, President of Common Sense Media, shares some basic Internet safety tips that will help as you set boundaries for your children.
Children use a variety of online services, and each of these services can have different safety concerns. However, there are some basic tips which you can employ no matter how your children use the Internet.
• Ensure that computers are in high-traffic areas of your home.
• Establish limits for which online sites children may visit and for how long.
• Make sure to also monitor mobile devices such as cell phones, gaming devices, and laptops.
• Surf the Internet with your children and let them show you what they like to do online.
• Know who is connecting with your children online and set well-defined rules for social networking, instant messaging, e-mailing, online gaming, and the use of webcams.
• Continually dialogue with your children about online safety.